In Years 5 - 7 students are beginning to learn about the world of work through fun, lunchtime activities and whole school competitions.
In Year 8 students will learn about the world of work, how to gain part-time work and understand the complex legalities around babysitting.
In Year 9 students will:
- Use Morrisby online, a careers psychometric tool, to explore their career interests and ideas further.
- Have the opportunity to talk to students in Year 11 about their GCSE subject choices and are given guidance on how to choose their options.
- Participate in Take Your Daughter to Work Day to gain experience of a workplace and find out about the variety of jobs that are available.
In Year 10 students will:
- Be given an introduction to work experience and how to start looking for placements.
- Have the opportunity to talk to students in Year 11 to find out more about their work experience placements.
- Have the opportunity to create a CV and write a covering letter in readiness for applying for work experience.
- Participate in an in-depth Morrisby online psychometric test to gain a detailed analysis of ability, aptitude, personality and work preferences together with a range of suggested career and course options. Each student receives an individual and interactive report based on the results of their test and attend a group feedback session to understand their results in more detail.
In Year 11 students will:
- Have the opportunity to talk to students in Lower Sixth to find out more about the subjects they wish to continue beyond I/GCSE.
- Research further into particular careers and industries and gain further knowledge on information and resources available to them to assist in their career development.
- Be given guidance and assistance in finding a minimum of one week of work experience, usually after I/GCSE examinations. Help is given to find a placement and students are fully briefed including Health and Safety. In all cases the School must be notified of work experience placements via the completion of the online work experience form, so that the legally required health and safety check can be carried out. The online work experience form can be found here.
- Spend time with the Year 10 students as they debrief on their work experience placements.
- Have an individual careers interview to discuss their plans for after Year 11.
Years 10, 11 and Sixth Form will have the opportunity to attend the annual Careers Convention, which is held in Lent term in conjunction with Abingdon School and Our Lady’s Abingdon. Parents are also welcome to attend this evening.