The Parents’ Association comprises of a lively group of volunteer parents with daughters throughout the year groups, aiming to enhance your experience of the School and build a strong community spirit. As parents you are automatically a member of the Parents' Association and we hope you will join us with our activities.
Our mission is to create an enthusiastic, united, supportive and active community to benefit students, parents and staff. Our aims as a Parents' Association are as follows:
- To help create and sustain a wider, diverse and deeper sense of community and to enhance communication between parents, students, staff and friends of the School
- To support the School with specific major projects and smaller departmental requests
- To raise money for the annually nominated school charity
We offer a variety of opportunities and activities early in Michaelmas term to welcome you to the St Helen's community.
At the start of Michaelmas Term the School organises a series of Welcome Evenings for parents in Years 5, 6, 7, 9 and Lower Sixth. These provide an excellent opportunity to get to know the School better, meet other parents in your daughter’s class and members of the Parents’ Association. It is our first opportunity to let new parents know what the Parents' Association does, how we communicate and how you can get involved in helping us to continue to build a strong, fun community of people. Every event, whether run by the School or the Parents' Association requires willing and enthusiastic helpers to make it a success. If you’d like to come along, get involved and have some fun along the way let us know.
The Parents' Association sponsors class social events for parents in Years 5, 6, 7 and 9 as an opportunity for new parents to meet each other outside the school environment. You can put faces to the names you'll be hearing from your daughters as they start to make their social groups.
If you are looking for inspiration, here are some suggested locations near Abingdon:
- The Flowing Well in Sunningwell - lots of space for groups
- The Nag's Head, Abingdon has a riverside garden with an outside bar and barbecue
- Abbey Meadows, Abingdon - a lovely place for a summer picnic, with an outdoor swimming pool and playground if you bring the kids
- Ice skating over Christmas at Millets Farm, Frilford
SHSK PA Privacy Notice
We host a number of social events and provide opportunities for fundraising throughout the year. Here’s a taste of what you can expect…
- The September Social - this new addition to the calendar features live music, food and drinks and provides the opportunity to meet your fellow parents
- Perfect Pairings - our fine wine tasting evening with canapes from the School's fantastic catering team
- SHSK Christmas Fair - this is our flagship event with high-quality crafts, fabulous food and students' own stalls
- The 200 Club - our very own lottery, featuring a monthly £100 draw amongst all participating parents
- Quiz Night - following a successful event in March 2022 (won by Headmistress Mrs Dougall's team!) we hope to make this a regular fixture in the PA's calendar
- Book and Wine Club - our popular monthly meet-up, currently held on Zoom, provides the chance to share a love of books over a glass of wine
As well as making a significant donation to charity each year, money raised by the Parents’ Association enables the school to purchase a variety of items to enhance the pupils’ overall school experience.
Over the last few years the PA has funded a variety of items including new podcast equipment to enable the sixth formers to record a weekly podcast, the new indoor cricket nets which were installed in April 2022 and the facilities at Church Farm which are in constant use. We have also recently agreed to purchase wet weather clothing for the junior department to use during their outdoor learning sessions and fund a wild flower meadow.
Parents' Association funds have also enhanced learning by providing over-locker sewing machines for students to use in the Art Department, a semi-acoustic guitar for small musical ensemble work and rod puppets for Year 7 drama lessons.
Of course, none of this would happen without the involvement of parents who are willing to help create a fun and engaging wider school community. So if you’d like to help in any way or would like any further information about the Parents' Association, please contact us via email.
For more information on the St Helen and St Katharine Parents' Association, please email email@example.com, follow us on Twitter and Instagram and look out for more news in the Weekly Mailing.